We are a vital link in the global food chain where our expertise in potash sales and marketing, transportation and logistics delivers food security to millions around the world and inspires growth here at home and abroad.
Canpotex is currently seeking a Manager, Ocean Transportation (20-07) to join the Operations team in our Saskatoon office.
You will collaborate with a team that is responsible for the areas of chartering, bunkering and vessel operations. You will provide leadership in order to ensure execution and analytical support to optimize our ocean transportation requirements, to meet service level requirements and minimize cost. You are responsible for identifying, securing and chartering potash vessels, helping secure bunkers efficiently, and that ultimately meet the ocean freight requirements of Canpotex marketing and its customers within cost, quality and time objectives on an ongoing basis. You will be responsible for maintaining various scorecards that measure execution effectiveness and make recommendations to drive continuous process improvement.
What you will do:
- Be part of the team that develops, negotiates and charters vessels for carriage of potash and other cargoes; evaluates and determines the feasibility of rerouting or deviating chartered vessels to enhance voyage results.
- Be part of the team that develops and maintains ocean cost estimates for all active potash destinations.
- Identify and assess opportunities for backhaul cargoes or outside cargoes developing revenue and cost estimates and negotiating fixtures.
- Prepare and circulate all Charter Parties for outside cargoes where no broker is involved and coordinate freight payments.
- Work with vessel operations on all matters regarding stowage, loading, routing and discharging of chartered vessels.
- Assist in the development and negotiation of ocean transportation contracts.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the dynamics of the ocean freight market.
- Initiate and evaluate credit history checks on vessel fixture opportunities.
- Review ocean transportation input for all quarterly Board reports and annual operating plan and budget.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vessel owners, operators and brokers.
- Lead and manage the chartering team towards achieving organizational, department and individual objectives.
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in marine transportation, operations management or related field.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field is considered an asset.
- Minimum five years’ work experience in marine transportation, chartering, brokering or agency.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Sound knowledge of chartering policies and practices including in-depth knowledge of the ocean freight market, especially in Asia/Oceania geographic area.
- Strong analytical, decision making and negotiating skills with ability to make executive decisions in short time frames and with limited information.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with business partners across the organization.
If you are interested in learning more about Canada’s complex and innovative potash export industry, we would like to hear from you. The deadline for applications is April 1, 2020. Please visit our website (https://www.canpotex.com/) to submit your cover letter and resume.
We thank all candidates for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.