WHO WE ARE | THE COMPANY
Fednav International Ltd., headquartered in Montreal, is the largest ocean-going ship owning and chartering group in Canada engaged in ocean transportation of mainly bulk cargoes on a worldwide basis. With 75 years of experience and expertise, we are a driven, innovative, and respected organization committed to our employees and customers.
Honesty, integrity, and a respect toward community and environment define our values.
Reporting to the Senior Chartering Manager, we are currently seeking an Assistant Chartering Manager responsible to effectively manage existing COAs, their cargo commitments, and the corresponding customer relationships. Additionally, this Assistant Chartering Manager will develop new clients, spot fixtures, and COAs as well as coordinate closely with Operations and Shipowning Departments, as well as other internal departments.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING | THE ROLE
- Develop customer relationships, book cargoes, and coordinate nominations
- Rate business and negotiate fixtures and contracts using available tools and in coordination with other trade route teams and the time-charter group
- Monitor forward fleet scheduling
- Ensure accuracy of production of estimates and fixture notes
- Ensure proper briefing of Operations staff and smooth execution of voyage, monitor voyage progress, foresee problems, and react accordingly.
- Peruse daily messages, develop/maintain relationships with brokers and customers and identify workable cargoes/ships
- Estimate the voyage returns, negotiate, fix, and conclude the charter- party terms
- Review voyage results and provide feedback on voyage performance
- Work and maintain excellent business relationships with Commodity Global Trading Houses, Derivatives Dealers, and other industry partners.
WHAT YOU BRING | THE PERSON
- Minimum 7 years experience in Chartering for a shipowner in the dry cargo industry OR a combination of a minimum 7 years of relevant experience trading of bulk commodities with global trading houses and in trading of derivatives/FFAs (Freight Forward Agreements).
- University degree in business administration, finance, or any relevant field
- Fixing ships and post-voyage analysis knowledge; must have detailed knowledge of dry-cargo market
- Exposure to international postings in various global shipping centers
- Financial acumen—aptitude to manipulate numbers
- Ability to develop new business opportunities and superior negotiation skills
- Excellent in relationship building and communication skills
- Ambitious, self-starter, confident in his/her abilities, outgoing in nature
- Ability to work autonomously, as well as collaborate within and across teams
- Ability to manage a small team of direct reports, if needed
- Fluent knowledge of MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Shipping-related software knowledge, an asset
- Ability to work outside of regular business working hours
- Annual discretionary bonus, based on performance
- Relocation assistance and allowance (for candidates outside of Quebec)
- Annual discretionary salary increase based on performance
- Medical/dental coverage
- Fitness subsidy program
- Accrued pension benefit
- Employee assistance program
- 20 paid vacation days
Annual Salary: $90,000 to $105,000
Location : Fednav International Ltd 1000 de La Gauchetière Street West, Suite 3500 Montreal, Quebec H3B 4W5 CANADA
Fednav International Ltd. offers a competitive total compensation package and opportunities for growth and development. Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to resume firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the position, Assistant Chartering Manager in the subject heading of your email. Fednav is an equal opportunity employer.